Tuesday 7 May 2013

Weekend Achievements

I have been meaning to blog all weekend, but haven't managed to find a moment. Lots of posts, half written and in my head. So I am making five minutes for a catch up session. I have a terrible habit of always trying to do all the things at once. Since sitting down to type I have run off to hang the laundry, decided to make bread, run down stairs to put the oven on, remembered I still need to wash the dishes, abandoned oven pre-heating, to run back upstairs to put the hot water on for said dishes. I'm always busy, always in the middle of something, but I really feel that I need to be. I like to have a purpose, like life is a video-game where every artefact I pick up leads me on to the next puzzle.

This weekend I made guacamole. From scratch. For the first time ever.


It was Saturday. I was home alone. Dan was at my parents  playing Rouge Trader RPG with my brother and their usual parents house posse. And somehow, I made the best dinner ever. The guacamole involves avacado, goats cheese, lime juice, salt and pepper, and a dash of hot sauce. I was, as always, inspired by Joy the Baker. I used lime instead of lemon for the guacamole, as it felt right. And I'd already eaten all the japapenos, so hot sauce totally worked. The peppers and baby corn were cooked by grilling on a very hot dry griddle pan, and I made rice and added a can of cooked mixed beans, a dash of lime and called it salad. Dinner done.

I made a slightly edited version for Dan and me the next day, with jalapenos in the guacamole and nacho chips to serve. Duplicate two day dinners is what happens a lot around here. With just two of us it's mostly easier to buy ingredients and cook the same thing twice, or make enough for two days on day one. Only cooking every second day is where it's at. And I hate to waste anything. Currently I have some goats cheese dregs, so tonight's plan is a gluten free pizza base with baby tomatoes, pesto and goat's cheese. One dinner leads to the next, my video-game analogy in practice again. Left over pesto and baby tomatoes will most likely develop into some sort of pasta thing on Wednesday.

Another busy week this week. It is the RTE drama festival in Athlone this week. We will be at the Wednesday and Friday night plays. I'm working away on my do. Good Stitches quilt. The top is almost done, and I hope to get it finished and basted by tonight. I also have a date with the passport photography man in the local photo shop. I am not looking forward to that, but really need a new passport so I can fly to the Fat Quarterly Retreat in July. And it is only a few days until Dan Brown's Inferno release. I have exactly 6 days from release date until my Audience with Dan Brown/Robert Langdon lecture in Dublin. So next week I will mostly be reading. I'm re-reading The Lost Symbol currently. On track to finish before next Tuesday. I feel a bit bad that I didn't get time to fit Angels and Demons in my Robert Langdon recap session, but quilting took over and I failed to stretch the laws of time sufficiently.

Running to do dishes and bake bread now.

No comments:

Post a Comment